When painting a space, it is suggested to paint the ceiling first, followed by the walls, cabinets and lastly, the doors. You can do this by painting from top to bottom so that drippings can be minimized.
What are the basic things to use?
Brushes are the most basic things that you need in painting a space. You’ll find numerous brush sizes with straight edge and angled sash. Your choice depends upon the size of the room you will be painting.
Aside from brushes, you can also use rollers. Rollers are an excellent time saver for painting bigger and flat surfaces such as ceilings and walls. Roller covers are available in various nap lengths. Again, your choice depends upon the kind of surface you are going to paint. There are rollers that are great with smooth walls as well as those that are textured.
Important tips to remember
- Top quality applicators will provide the top painting results. Although low cost or low quality applicators do not mean that the painting process would be of low quality, you should expect that it won’t have great results such as those of the high quality ones.
- Inexpensive roller covers do not spread the paint evenly on the surface, and often leave fuzz from the roller on the wall. Inexpensive brushes are harder to use of since they don’t spread the paint evenly and leave unsightly brush marks.
- Should you take a short break from painting, it is possible to wrap your applicators tightly with a plastic bag or aluminum foil as opposed to washing them!
- Be sure to stir the paint thoroughly and constantly before even using it. This is to make sure that when you apply it, it won’t be as sticky and it has a great consistency.
- Should you be using more than one gallon of the same color, mix them together in order to insure color consistency. Paint when the space and surface temperature is 50 degrees Fahrenheit or above. Steer clear of touching, wiping, or wetting a freshly painted surface for 30 days to let the paint to fully cure. Immediately after 30 days, the painted surface may be cleaned using a mild, non-abrasive cleaner and water. Do not put or hang objects on the surface until the paint is completely dry.
- It is always important to comply with the directions on the back in the paint label. It contains the most important details you will need for your painting project.